RAD/FAB Songs of the Week: Asha Bhosle is pretty much my definition of RAD and FAB

Though Lata Mangeshkar was the first female playback singer I learned to recognize, and though I certainly don't think anyone need choose Asha over Lata, or Lata over Asha, I HAVE recently realized that Asha lent her voice to quite a few of my favorite songs from the 70s. She's been stereotyped as more of a pop-singer, and maybe that's true. If so, I approve! What would Kalyanji Anandji's or RD Burman's trippy film scores have been without her smoky yet playful voice?

So, in honor of Asha Bhosle's 80th birthday, I'm counting down my current Asha faves--songs that also happen to be RAD/FAB.

3. "Jab Andhera Hota Hai" from Raja Rani (1973)

The opening song of the film, and apparently a huge hit at the time. Not everyone could sing the refrain, "Thief, Thief . . . Thief, Thief" . . . with such husky gravitas and make us believe it.




2. "Aapka Sarkar Kya Kuch" from Hera Pheri (1976)

Asha always does a great item girl number!



1. "Pyar Zindagi Hai" from Muqaddar ka Sikandar (1978) 

Asha is joined by Lata here, and gosh, to me, they always sound great together.



Thanks Asha-ji!

Comments

Popular Posts